- This event has passed.
TPP Month of Action
August 1, 2013 @ 8:00 am - August 31, 2013 @ 5:00 pm
Haven’t heard about the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)? That’s hardly a surprise. The TPP, nicknamed “NAFTA on steroids”, has been negotiated in almost complete secrecy. The TPP could soon be passed without the support of your elected officials. President Obama hopes the agreement will be given fast-track treatment on Capitol Hill. The fast-track process allows the president to sign trade agreements before Congress votes on them. Congress’s post-facto vote would bypass normal congressional review by stifling debate and banning amendments and filibusters.
As WFP delegates and supporters, you know that free trade is not the answer to poverty, unemployment, and environmental destruction. Yet the TPP goes even further than past agreements to put profits over people and to make transnational corporations more powerful than governments.
But we can stop the TPP! Globally, people are standing up to the TPP by: 1) spreading awareness about the contents of the TPP, and 2) actively expressing disapproval to the agreement so that it becomes so unpopular no elected official will want to be tied to it.
Join the nationwide movement on August 6th by:
• Organizing a legislative visit with your local representative and ask them to commit to opposing fast-track legislation.
• Call your Representative and ask for the congressional staffer who works on trade. View Sample Script.
• Write and submit an op-ed in your local newspaper to educate your community about the TPP.
• Write a blog to be posted Witness for Peace national/regional websites.
• Share articles on your personal Facebook page or by email.
• Host a house party/meet-up event to share what you know about the TPP and encourage others to take action.
Visit exposethetpp.org for more great ideas of how to take action!
Corporate free trade agreements can be stopped! By committing to one or more of these actions, you can do your part to tell our elected officials that we value people over profits.
To submit blogs or find more information, email Emily at Emily@witnessforpeace.org.